'AWE INSPIRING' - Outline Online Magazine
A versatile and passionate multi-disciplinary circus performer and producer, Daisy Black’s skills range from graceful aerial artistry to swallowing razorblades, spinning flaming hula hoops and dancing on broken glass.
'Fast and furious ... Daisy's a nuclear genius with those hula hoops.' - Mardi Gras Magazine
'Book her.' - Abi Collins
Director and founder of Gossamer Thread Circus, Daisy Black has performed all over the UK and throughout Europe, as well as producing regular acclaimed sell-out Gossamer Thread cabaret and variety shows in Norwich.
International credits include Vienna, Stockholm, Edinburgh, Paris, Geneva, Copenhagen, Frankfurt, and Berlin’s famous Wintergarten. Daisy has performed everywhere from traditional big top circuses, cabarets, corporate events, weddings, and international festivals including Norwich & Norfolk Festival and SHOWZAM.
'Breathtaking' - NorwichBlog.com
'Never less than enthralling.' - Rod Laver
GOSSAMER THREAD CIRCUS
In 2012 Daisy and partner Alex McAleer combined their disparate skill sets to create Gossamer Thread Circus, devising various original double-acts blurring the boundaries of cabaret, theatre, magic, circus and sideshow. These include audience favourite the star-crossed Love Machines, and Carny & The Tramp’s incomparable and unique tango on broken glass. In 2017 they were awarded Arts Council England funding to develop their two person show 'FOLIE A DEUX' which opened 2018's Postcards Festival at Jacksons Lane London.
'They are exceptionally talented at what they do… They innately seem to understand the alchemy of telling a story onstage… Their work is innovative and familiar, exciting and emotional, and utterly wonderful to watch.'
— Vivacity Bliss, producer of Cabaret Roulette —
- Gossamer Thread's FOLIE A DEUX - Our new two person show received Arts Council England funding this year and showcased at Seachange Arts in July. It will be available to book from 2018.
- The Electric Rodeo Circus - next show LONDON WONDERGROUND, UNDERBELLY FESTIVAL 16/9/17
- Guilty Party - next show JACKSONS LANE LONDON, POSTCARDS FESTIVAL 17/7/17
-Night Magic - next show TBC
From a family of artists, Daisy Black cultivated a head for heights by working in theatre for six years from the age of fifteen, specialising in lighting design (and had the pleasure of lighting the likes of Michael Nyman, Russel Brand and Chuck Berry, among others) before joining the circus and scaling the dizzy heights of the big top. Based in Norwich and Cambridge, Daisy has travelled all over the UK to train with some of the of the most highly-skilled circus artists in the business in order to constantly develop her multiple skills. Learning from a diverse array of specialists encouraged Daisy to devise original ideas and continue to advance and improve, as well as being incredibly self-motivated and proactive about her artistic development. A background steeped in art and writing lends her work a unique combination of narrative, artistic composition, musicality and humour.
After completing the MA in Creative Writing at the University of East Anglia in 2013, Daisy is currently working on a novel on the birth of circus in eighteenth century England.
- Aerial artist with freestanding aerial rig
- Hula hoop artist
- Fire performer
- Unique take on traditional Sideshow
- Co-Director of Gossamer Thread’s Vaudeville Co.
- Producer of sell-out Gossamer Thread cabaret nights
- Rigging for Aerial Performance qualification from High Performance Rigging
- Trained teacher
- Member of Equity (PLI 10m) and fully insured
- Fully CRB/DBS checked
- Trained First Aider
- 7 years’ experience in theatre/lighting design
- Arts Award Advisor (Bronze & Silver)
- Graduate of UEA’s prestigious Creative Writing MA
Header Image: Black Cravat Photographic Imaging (cropped)
Portrait: John Paul Bichard
Portrait: John Paul Bichard